In his Sunday Night Theology talk on August 29, Pastor Isaac Adams recommended a number of resources for those wishing to grow in their understanding of how Christians can respond to and interact with the complex realities of race in our society. They include resources for historical background on American race relations, collections of sermons, and a number of preachers who exemplify excellence in African-American preaching. We would also encourage you to take this opportunity to pre-order Isaac’s upcoming book, Talking About Race: Gospel Help for Hard Conversations.
- The Bible
- How To Think: A Survival Guide for a World At Odds by Alan Jacobs
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- The Negro: His Rights and Wrongs, the Forces For Him and Against Him by Francis Grimke
- The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
- American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass by Douglas Massey & Nancy Denton
- Race and Place: How Urban Geography Shapes the Journey To Reconciliation by David Leong
- Beyond Racial Gridlock: Embracing Mutual Responsibility by George Yancey
- Consumed By Hate, Redeemed by Love: How a Violent Klansman Became a Champion of Racial Reconciliation by Thomas Tarrants
- Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America by Michael Emerson & Christian Smith
- Meals from Mars: A Parable of Prejudice and Providence by Ben Sciacca
*The inclusion of a person on this list does not constitute a wholesale commendation or acceptance of all aspects of his or her work, statements, stances, or arguments on the part of Christ Church West Chester or our SNT speakers.